Accurate, Reliable & Dependable Forensic Services

FTS Previous Cases

TEL: 01732 459 811

Some Examples of FTS's Involvement in High Profile Cases

FTS Cell Site Expert Witness provides evidence

A communications expert has explained to a jury how a murder suspect’s phone suggests he was where the victim’s body was found on the day he is suspected of killing her.

Data collected from the device used by Pamela Jackson’s 50-year-old boyfriend, Adrian Muir suggests he was in the Ripponden area, near Halifax, on March 2.

Detectives investigating the disappearance of the 55-year-old grandmother-of-four from her home in Chester-le-Street, County Durham, believe he killed her and drove to remote countryside in West Yorkshire to dispose of her body in a shallow grave.

John Tarpey, a cell site analysis engineer at Forensic Telecommunications Services, told a jury at Newcastle Crown Court data collected on Saturday, March 2, showed Mr Muir’s phone was in the area where police found her remains almost three months later.

He said: “This is entirely consistent. It is the most likely location for him.”

Phone records show Mr Muir’s phone was used at his mother’s house in Halifax, the following morning, then back on the moors, over the Lancashire border, in the afternoon. Andrew Robertson QC told the court Mr Muir’s car was seen on CCTV at Wetherby Services on the A1 and in Chester-le-Street on Monday, March 4.

But Mr Tarpey said mobile phone evidence suggests he was back in the Sowerby Bridge area on Tuesday, March 5, and the following day, Wednesday, March 6, he was back on the moors where Miss Jackson’s body was discovered. Mr Tarpey said: “Durham Police analysed the mobile phone and got certain records off it such as photos and numbers. One of the applications was a ‘sat nav’, which records where you go.

He was at the side of the road at the body deposition site. The accuracy is within ten metres to 20 metres. It is pretty accurate.

“Whatever he was doing, he making a time and date stamp, saying ‘At this time, I was here’.”

The following day he returned to The Crescent where Miss Jackson’s three sons called the police after becoming suspicious when he told them she had gone to stay with a friend following a row. Mr Muir, of Calder Terrace, Halifax, denies murder. The trial continues. ”